Ada beberapa pola kalimat yang umum menggunakan “Expletive There“, yaitu:
1. There + be + (pro)noun + expression of place/time.
- There is nobody here.
- There is a piano in the room.
- There isn’t much milk in that glass.
- There’re a lot of students here yesterday.
- There were several parties last week.
- There’s going to be a party tomorrow.
2. There + be + noun dengan Adjective Modifier:
- There are different ways to do it.
- There are two blankets for each bed.
- There are many doctors who can help you.
- There are (some) people who like him.
3. There + be + noun + -Ing Participle.
- There is a storm approaching. (= A storm is approaching).
- There is strong wind coming up from the west.( = A strong wind is coming up from the west).
Kadang-kadang bentuk Past Participle sering juga dipakai, dan susunan ini untuk maksud passive.
- There were many people killed in the last war. ( = Many people were killed in the last war).
- There have been more Americans killed in the road accidents than in all the war since 1900.
Beberapa verb yang sering digunakan setelah “Expletive There”, yaitu: appear, come, go, happen, live, remain, seem, enter, follow, dll.
- Once upon time there lived a wicked king.
- There seem to be two reason for his success.
- There remains nothing more to be done.
- ‘Mere comes a time when we must all face our maker.
- Suddenly there entered a strange figure dressed all in black.
4. There + be + noun phrase + to-infinitive clause.
- There was no one for us to talk to.
- There is essential for the papers to be ready before Friday.
5. There dapat bertindak sebagai subject dalam infinitive dan -Ing Clause.
- I don’t want there to be any more trouble.
- I’d like there to be swimming-pool in the garden.
- There appear to be several reason for changing our plan. (Bukan: ‘There appears to be ….)
- He was disappointed at (there being) so little to do.
- What’s the chance of there being an election this year?
6. Expletive There atau juga here, biasanya digunakan untuk (sebagai) Exclamatory sentence (kalimat seru).
- There goes the bell! (Lonceng sedang berbunyi!)
- There you have me! (Di situlah kami kena’nya!)
- There they are! (Itu mereka!)
Untuk membuat pertanyaan, letakkanlah BE (modal auxiliary) sebelum The Expletive There.
- There is a book here.
- Is there a book here? – Yes, there is. No, there isn’t.
- There will be music at the party.
- Will there be music at the party? – Yes, there will. No, there won’t.